Occasionally, I will run across a supplement or healthy food item that simply deserves a little more recognition. Not that I believe that any one thing can cure us. I’m a pretty firm believer, at this point, that our health is a complex endeavor that requires a multifaceted approach that can be different for everyone.
However, I’m also a firm believe that there are some simple things that we can do that can make it easier for our bodies to achieve a better state of wellness.
Meet Black Seed oil (BSO)
Black Seed Oil (From the plant Nigella Sativa or Black Cumin), is a brown oil that is extracted from the seeds of the Nigella Sativa plant. Black Seed Oil is mentioned in both the Koran and the Bible and was touted by the Prophet Mohammed as ‘A cure for everything but death’. I don’t know about all of that. But… I do know that since I’ve been taking the oil regularly, I have felt an increase in my overall health. Enough so, that if I were forced to choose a single supplement to use, it would be Black Seed Oil.
What are the health benefits of Black Seed Oil?
I have a feeling that we don’t even know all of the benefits of black seed oil. But here are some of the benefits we do know about.
- Helps to modulate the immune system.
- Antibacterial, Anti parasitic, Anti fungal and maybe even antiviral. (This means that black seed oil can possibly help with any disease that involves pathogenic infection, which I believe includes things like RA, MS, ALS, Parkinson’s, Crohn’s, IBS, Lyme disease and many, many more).
- Anti-diabetic- Black seed oil is well-known to have the ability to lower blood sugar and help with insulin resistance. Note: If you are diabetic, be careful to monitor your blood sugar when you take this. But, I believe that over time you might find your insulin usage will be reduced.
- Gut health- BSO can help level the playing field in your gut by helping to eradicate candida and harmful gut pathogens so that your gut, and your body can heal.
- Potential anticancer effects- Black seed oil has even been studied as a cancer fighter. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252704/
- Anti-anxiety and anti-depressant.
- Lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. An NIH study concluded that BSO lowered blood pressure dramatically…without negative side effects. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23436437
- And on, and on….
Does it really do all of that?
After having taken BSO for more than a month, I do believe so, yes. And, I believe that BSO increases health system wide in somewhat of a domino affect. For example, if your liver is healthier you will likely see improvements in your skin and hair as well.
Personally, I have felt less fatigue and less overall body discomfort (joint pain,etc), less brain fog and am starting to feel a little stronger. I have not had any real depression during the time I have taken the oil, but can’t positively attribute it to that. I have simply felt overall better.
How much do I take?
In researching BSO, I found that about 2 teaspoons is an average dose. Personally, I started with 2 teaspoons daily, split between morning and evening. Now (after a few weeks at the starting dose), I take around 3 Tablespoons, split throughout the day and do not feel any adverse effects at this dosage.
After experiencing the healing effects of Black Seed Oil, I will continue to use it 2-3 times a day in the hopes that my health continues to improve. If you are fighting any kind of disease…do yourself a favor and give Black Seed Oil a try. I have a strong feeling that you simply will not regret it.
One thought on “Black Seed Oil for increased health and healing”
Thanks for this post. I am a health fanatic, and if something will improve my health and make me the best I can be, then I will consider it. Black seed oil sounds interesting and I will definitely be looking to incorporate it into my health regime.